Recovering from back pain or a joint injury requires a specific plan of action for the best results. When your back is sore, it’s tempting to rest and avoid all physical activity, however prolonged inactivity will exacerbate the problem.
Although pain pills and steroids may bring temporary relief, they don’t address the underlying cause of your pain. More is needed for true healing. And that’s where chiropractic treatment and active rehab play a vital role.
As an integrated chiropractic clinic we offer the best of traditional and alternative medical treatments. Our team of health care professionals includes an MD, Nurse Practitioner, Chiropractor, Massage Therapists and Exercise Physiologists. All team members work together to provide you with advanced care.
Chiropractic care and active rehab form the foundation of our treatment protocols. Chiropractic treatment involves the gentle manipulation of the spine and joints, while our active rehab strengthens muscles through targeted exercise. These two therapies used together can improve recovery times and improve your odds of staying healthy and injury free in the future.
Rehabilitation treatments used within our Garland chiropractic clinic include:
- Passive therapies (E-stim and intersegmental traction) – E-stim fatigues the muscles, lessening contractions. This enjoyable therapy is best used in acute situations as it helps to relieve pain. E-stim is often used in conjunction with intersegmental traction (more commonly known as a roller bed) The roller bed flexes and extends every joint which improves range of motion, hydrates the discs through movement, and reduces inflammation.
- Active Rehab – Our doctors and physical therapy assistants will work together to customize an exercise plan which targets specific problem areas. We will include proprioceptive training to improve range of motion, core strength and balance. These improvements will also help to prevent re-injury.
- Trigger Point Therapy – This specialized type of massage focuses on tight muscle fibers that often form in your muscles following overuse or an injury. This service is available to all patients in the form of chair massage and in longer thirty to sixty minutes therapeutic massage sessions when scheduled with an appointment. Our licensed massage therapist are experts many have advanced training in a number of modalities including pregnancy massage, deep tissue and lymphatic drainage.
All forms of therapies improve blood flow, relieve tight muscles and help soothe away painful knots
What to expect during treatment
During the acute phase of your treatment, (usually right after injury), you may need several visits within a short time period (Usually a week or two). During your chiropractor visits, the doctor will continue with chiropractic treatments while assessing your progress. Based upon his assessment, he and the rest of the team will work together to deliver targeted exercises. If needed, our MD and Nurse practitioner can offer additional relief through prescription muscle relaxers and pain medications.
Five reasons to keep your chiropractic appointments
- The benefits of the appointments build upon each other – Misalignments are easier to treat with follow up appointments. Often less treatment is required than if the problems were to remain untreated for weeks or months between courses.
- Less need or no need for medication was reported by people who receive regular chiropractic treatment – The Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found a 51.8% reduction in medication costs when people received integrated care that included treatment by chiropractors (you can read the abstract here). Because most people require less medication, their risk of drug side-effects is also lowered.
- Surgeries may be avoided – Chiropractic treatment and physical rehab are ideal first lines of treatment and should always be explored before considering surgery Failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) affects around 40% of patients who have had surgery; this often means the affected patients may have limited mobility, and reoccurring back problems.
- Improved future outcomes – People who have chiropractic treatment have less re-injury problems, according to the Journal of Occupational and Environmental medicine that tracked 894 workers in a 12-month period. Those workers received medical management, no treatment, chiropractic care and physical therapy. Of those treated, chiropractic patients came out on top for the least recurrences.
- Chiropractic patients have a better quality of life – Often the added flexibility, better sleep, stronger immune function and improved hormone balance means that people feel ‘happier’ from having regular chiropractic treatment.
Chiropractic treatment and active rehab can help many patients regain their active lifestyles. Due to the nature of the spine, small flare ups may occur, but are easier to treat as you build strength, mobility and motion. With Texas Spine & Wellness, you’ll have the support of a team of health care professional to help you achieve your goals. We’re here to help you feel your best!
Contact us today to schedule your appointment.